Steps to Get Cheap Car Insurance in the UK
Get multiple quotes online.
Choose a car insurance broker that is registered with the British Insurance Brokers’ Association (BIBA).Car insurance brokers facilitate the match between potential customers and insurance companies. According to BIBA, “all car insurance brokers must be independent and are obliged to champion consumer interests first and foremost.”
Get individual quotes.
If you prefer to contact each insurer individually, search for the individual companies online. According to surveys conducted by Money.co.UK and Defaqto.com, some of the top-rated car insurers are:
ASDA – As – Aviva – Admiral - Coutts & Co. – GoCompare - Liverpool Victoria - Sainbury’s Bank – John Lewis Insurance - More>Than – eCar
Conduct a thorough comparison
The lowest price does not necessarily mean you’re getting the best deal. In fact, the lower the premium, the higher the chances are that you are getting minimal coverage, a high deductible or both. A high deductible can considerably lower your monthly cost of car insurance, but you must determine if you can afford to pay the deductible up front should you get into an accident. Look for multiple discounts that apply to you and the vehicle you drive:
- Anti-theft devices, such as alarms and immobilizers
- Tracking devices
- Garage or car park access
- Voluntary excess
- Marital status
- Multiple car discounts
- Combining car and home insurance under the same policy
Inquire about all discounts
Some companies provide additional discounts for young drivers if certain conditions are met, such as completion of a safe driving course, a good academic record and low annual mileage. Some companies have introductory offers for women who are purchasing car insurance for the first time, but who have been named drivers on another policy (as long as those were claim-free years.)
- You’ll need the reference number on your V5C registration certificate, V11 or V85/1 reminder form in order to declare your vehicle as off the road
- It is advisable to opt for greater liability coverage if you are adding your teen to your policy. Consider buying a mid-segment car, especially if your teen will be one of the insured drivers. Sporty cars and SUVs carry higher premiums. You can obtain insurance quotes for a car you are thinking of buying; simply supply the vehicle’s identifying information (available from the dealer) and get comparison quotes. Premiums are affected by the style, make, model and even the weight of a vehicle. Factor into your purchase price of a new vehicle the cost of annual insurance.
- Although they require an initial extra spend, motor legal protection or other legal expenses insurance policies will actually save you money, should you be involved in a non-fault accident. They are designed to help you recover any uninsured losses, and good policies should provide you with a replacement car in instances where your main car insurer will not.